I never particularly liked pizza as a child, the thin based crusts were ok but they always left me feeling bloated and uncomfortable after and so I stopped eating them. If you know me well, you’ll know there are not many foods I don’t like, a few that I now avoid but not dislike…
Then I came across cauliflower pizza bases and I’ve suddenly fallen in love with pizza. This is the perfect recipe for children, the main ingredient is cauliflower and shhh… they will never know!! Cauliflower is full of fibre and vitamins, especially vitamin K and is an anti-inflammatory so if you’re body is in an immune response, (swelling to protect) it can counter this and help you heal.
I’ve seen lots of complicated recipes for pizza bases but I wanted to keep it simple, most people don’t have the time to spend ages making pizza bases. It takes me about 10 minutes to make this base and if I chop a whole cauliflower, I save the rest and use it as an alternative to rice (another great substitute).
These are some of my favorite toppings, I’ll post some other combinations soon but be creative and enjoy discovering your favourite pizza variety.
- ½ a cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of cheddar cheese
- Pinch of sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 tin of tomato paste
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- ½ a chorizo
- Handful of black olives
- 1 mozzarella
- ½ teaspoon of chilli flakes (optional)
- Handful of basil leaves
- Use a food processor with a chopping S-shaped blade and chop the cauliflower till it looks like very small grains of rice, you want about 2 cups of the "rice"
- Mix the rice in a bowl with the 2 eggs, cheese, oregano, salt and pepper
- Take a pizza tray or baking tray and use a little olive oil to grease the pan
- Take handfuls of the mix and press out on the baking tray to form a round, the ingredients will seem wet but don't worry the bases will firm up as they cook, you should have enough to make 2 bases.
- Cook the bases for 15-20 mins till golden on 180 degrees.
- While these are cooking, cut the onion in half and slice and cook in the butter until translucent
- Spread the bases with tomato puree or your own home-made tomato sauce
- Add the rest of the ingredients and add back to the oven for 5 minutes for the mozzarella to melt, enjoy!