Very easy to make and a great accompaniment to most dishes, this is the perfect fermented foods to start when you’re new to cultured foods. Enhancing the nutritional properties of this low sugar fruit, fermentation adds beneficial microbes that will give your immune system a boost.
Lemons are renowned for their cleansing properties but what most people don’t know is that most of the nutrition is locked in the skin or zest of the lemon and this is often the part we throw away. More vitamin C than an orange and powerful at supporting liver detoxification, this is a great way to utilise all the nutritional properties.
I personally love this with Moroccan tagines or curry.
No need to peel, you can use the rind too but make sure you use organic lemons without wax. This only takes a few minutes to prepare with a grater blade on the food processor, I even threw in a couple of limes for good measure too!
- 10 lemons
- 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt (not table salt)
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- Push the lemons and limes through the grater attachment of the food processor
- Mix with all the other ingrediants
- Add to a medium sized mason jar or I used 2 small ones
- Push the mixture down to ensure the liquid covers the lemon chutney
- Store in a dark cupboard for 3-10 days