Asparagus is very much in season at the moment, readily available in all the supermarkets and I adore asparagus. Asparagus is packed with nutrition, it is full of fibre and is a naturel source of folate which is used for the development of red blood cells and supporting the nervous system and most well-known for its supplementation when pregnant as folic acid. It also has strong antioxidant capabilities containing a compound called glutathione which is also found in avocados and kale but has been shown to negate free radicals in the body to protect cells against cancer and the aging process.
This recipe will test your fear of fat, but don’t be nervous of eating fat especially these ones that are very healthy, natural fats. One of the biggest myths to loosing weight is that we should only be eating the whites of an egg and discarding the yolk but this is very bad advise because this is actually the healthiest part of the egg to eat. Choose your eggs wisely and eat organic eggs, you are only adding about 20p to the price of your egg but there is a substantial difference in taste and nutrition. An organic egg will come from a chicken allowed to roam and peck at the grass, the egg subsequently laid contains a high % of omega 3 fats, it’s kinder to the chicken and kinder to your body too. The colour from these eggs, as you will see in the picture is also a much more vibrant yellow yolk and it tastes far creamier. This sauce is very easy to make, it takes 5 minutes maximum and is worth every minute.
Pork belly is incredibly reasonable to buy and once you’ve added some spice very easy to cook too. Nothing better than a crunchy piece of crackling!
Tip: Hold the asparagus at either end and snap it, you will break off the edible longer piece and leave the tough woody part in the other hand.
- Pork belly
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 12 asparagus
- 1 tablespoon of EV Olive Oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ½ a lemon
- Handful of rocket
- Parmesan shavings
- Make a rub with the cumin, turmeric, pepper and a pinch of the sea salt and rub all over the pork belly both sides. Place on a sheet of greeseproof paper and put into the oven on 200 degrees for 30 minutes. Then turn down and cook for a further 1 hour on 180 degrees.
- minutes before the end turn your griddle pan on and allow it to heat up (you can just use a frying pan if you don't have a griddle), when hot add a little olive oil and put asparagus crossways against the griddle lines and roll over every minute to create a beautiful slight charring on the skin. They take about 3 minutes to cook so not long.
- Pour boiling water into your blender and tip out, this will enable you to cook the eggs while you're creating your sauce.
- Add the egg yolks and lemon and blend with the lid on and mix.
- Melt the coconut oil and butter in a pan and add slowly to the blender whilst it is on a lower setting for blending. Keep blending for a couple of minutes while the sauce thickens.
- Serve a generous chunk of spiced pork belly with hollandaise sauce, griddled asparagus, rocket and a few shavings of parmesan to top (I just used my potato peeler). Enjoy.